- Stanford University. With distinction. BA in communication/journalism.
- University of Maryland. MA in English.
- Medical Interpreting Certificate, University of Massachusetts
- Scored “Superior” on the University of Massachusetts Chinese reading comprehension test given to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Certified Pro Status on ProZ.com
Language Training and Cultural Competency
- Formal Chinese classes from elementary through high school.
- Spoke Chinese (Mandarin) at home, English outside the home.
- University courses in Chinese.
- Intensive Chinese training and immersion at Taipei Language Institute.
- Second generation Chinese-to-English translator.
- Extensive travel to China and Taiwan.
Selected Previous Professional Experience
- Director of Publications, Center for Responsive Schools / Responsive Classroom. Turners Falls, Massachusetts, USA.
(Writer, editor, and proofreader before becoming director.)
- Writer and assistant editor, Channing Bete Company. South Deerfield, Massachusetts, USA.
- Writer, Children’s Defense Fund. Washington, DC.